Re: st: RE: xttobit initial value not feasible

From   David Jacobs <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: xttobit initial value not feasible
Date   Mon, 14 Apr 2008 15:26:54 -0400

I like the last advice. In my experience the random-effects pooled time-series estimators are much more sensitive to data problems than a purely cross-sectional estimator such as Tobit probably because the default random-effects estimation method is based on a mvaghermite approach.

If you get reasonable Tobit (rather than xttobit) results, try clustering on the panel identifier. Perhaps (?? a bit of a long shot) that correction may even be sufficient for referees in your discipline.

The count estimators someone suggests, of course, involve different assumptions about the distribution of your dependent variable, but xtpoisson or xt negative binomial can be estimated with an xtgee approach, which again I find to be far more robust to data problems than the random-effects count model alternatives. And if you really have too many zeros (which I also doubt), you can estimate such count models with a two equation zip or zinb approach and again correct the panel standard errors by clustering on your panel identifier (Stata as yet doesn't offer pooled time-series zip or zinb estimators, but LImdep does).

But if you are an economist, do check with an econometrician first.

Dave Jacobs

PS. Sorry for the clutter. I mistakenly sent this message under the wrong header.