Re: st: ci question

From   Chris Witte <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: ci question
Date   Thu, 10 Apr 2008 12:57:19 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks Nick and David.  I've been requested to plot the sem's, so I'll have to collapse, generate sem's, and overlay plots like David suggested.  I'll definitely check out eclplot and ciplot though for possible future use.

Nick,
my search in Stata found eclplot fine, but didn't find ciplot.  I found ciplot.ado on the IDEAS website, but how do I get that into Stata?

thanks again,
Chris

----- Original Message ----
From: Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Sent: Thursday, April 10, 2008 2:31:33 PM
Subject: RE: st: ci question

Also note -ciplot- from SSC.

David gave a very interesting reference new to me. Thanks for that. In
addition,
W.S. Cleveland. 1994. The elements of graphing data. Summit, NJ: Hobart
Press
is good on graphing error bars.

David Airey

also see ecloplot for an estimate and confidence limits plot for an
alternative

findit eclplot finds it for you inside stata...

also see a recent paper on different error bars that might be used...

The Journal of Cell Biology, Vol. 177, No. 1, April 9, 2007 7-11
http://www.jcb.org/cgi/doi/10.1083/jcb.200611141

Email me if you don't have access to the paper.

If you really want the means and standard errors you can collapse the
data set to to means, sd, and counts, derive the sems, and then plot
means and sems with a scatter and rcap plot combined in a twoway graph.

-Dave

On Apr 10, 2008, at 2:04 PM, Chris Witte wrote:
> I would like to know how to take the means and standard errors
> calculated from the "ci" command, and plot the means with brackets
> placed at plus/minus the standard error.
>
> 1) So, I first need to know how to get these estimates into a
> dataset for use.
>
> 2) I found the "serrbar" command, which will do a basic plotting,
> but what I'd really like is to have a way to group these estimates,
> much like the way you can with "graph box" and the "over" option.
> Is this possible?

*
*  For searches and help try:
*  http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/res/findit.html