Re: st: True batch mode

From   "Sergiy Radyakin" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: True batch mode
Date   Wed, 9 Apr 2008 19:41:52 -0400

On 4/9/08, Russell V. Lenth <[email protected]> wrote:
> When I try to run Stata in batch mode on Windows...
>
>        DOS> wstata /e do testfile.do
>
> ... it runs in the background, returning a new DOS prompt before the job is
> done.  That's fine if I'm doing it manually, but I want to run Stata as part
> of a process, and the next step needs Stata to be finished creating its
> output before it starts.  I suppose I could have Stata write some new file
> at the very end, but then if there's an error, that file will never get
> written.  Ideas?

Depends on the skill level:

1. start /w ........
    /w = /wait

2.

DOS>delete file_marker
DOS> wstata /e do testfile.do

// --- testfile.do ---
 capture do another.do  // capture will ensure we return back to write
the marker
  write file_marker
// --- end of testfile.do ---

put your program into another.do

3. CreateProcessEx(lcExe,lcCommandLine,lcStartDirectory,;
              lnShowWindow,llWaitForCompletion,lcStdOutputFilename)

4. ShellExecuteEx(LPSHELLEXECUTEINFO lpExecInfo);

Both 3 and 4 are very similar and converge at one point to the same
thing. Which one to use is a matter of convenience.
5. if none of the above is ok, I can suggest other variants

Best regards, Sergiy Radyakin