st: Adjusting for clustering within groups

From   Ashwin Ananthakrishnan <>
Subject   st: Adjusting for clustering within groups
Date   Mon, 7 Apr 2008 19:11:11 -0700 (PDT)

I am currently using Stata 9.2. My analysis involves
logistic regression of a dichotomous outcome (dead /
alive) across various predictors. My main predictor of
interest is hospital type (Small, medium, big). How do
I adjust for clustering within each type of hospital?

The largest of the 'big' hospitals may contribute more
patients to the analysis than the smaller of the 'big'
hospitals. Do I need to adjust for this phenomenon?
i.e. if we hypothesize that larger hospitals have
better outcomes, isn't it appropriate that the larger
of the big hospitals contribute more patients and
hence have a larger weight?

Or do I need to adjust for this? and how do I do it?
Thanks.  Ashwin