st: Updated version of -zipsave-

From   Henrik Stovring <[email protected]>
To   statalist <[email protected]>, [email protected]
Subject   st: Updated version of -zipsave-
Date   Thu, 03 Apr 2008 09:21:59 +0200

Dear all,

Thanks to Kit Baum an updated version of the package -zipsave- is now available on the SSC repository. It is now possible to open a Stata datafile directly from a multifile zip-archive. Please let me know if you encounter problems, or have comments and suggestions for further development.

Best,

Henrik

PS (mostly to Stata's technical staff): I discovered what seems like a bug in the development process. If the zip-archive holds for example two dta-files and one does not specify which to open, then the unzip command I use (unzip -p ziparchive > tmpfile) will paste the two datafiles into one long file. When Stata 9.2 tries to open this single file with two datasets in it, it does not complain or stall - it crashes immediately! I have not yet tried with Stata 10, so it may not require fixing, but to me it seems an inadequate behaviour.

--
Henrik St�vring, PhD

Research Unit for General Practice
University of Southern Denmark J.B. Winsl�ws Vej 9A
DK-5000 Odense C
Phone: (+45) 6550 3692
Fax: (+45) 6591 8296 email: [email protected]
Homepage: http://www.almen.dk/hstovring

* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/