Re: st: strange behavior of booleanfunctions in dialog if expressions

From   Kevin Crow <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: strange behavior of booleanfunctions in dialog if expressions
Date   Wed, 02 Apr 2008 17:21:55 -0500

Zurab was trying to see if a value passed to an edit box in his dialog was <= 0. The problem is that edit boxes return strings, not numeric values. Zurab will need to convert the value in the edit box to a double to use –isle()- correctly. For example,

VERSION 9

POSITION . . 300 300

SCRIPT PREINIT
BEGIN
create DOUBLE x
END

DIALOG main
BEGIN
EDIT ed_ed1 30 44 170 ., label("input") numonly
BUTTON bt_bt1 30 100 100 ., label ("button") onpush(program action)
END

PROGRAM action
BEGIN
call x.setvalue class main.ed_ed1.value
if x.isle(0) {
stopbox note "true"
exit
}
stopbox note "false"

END

Kevin Crow
--StataCorp

Zurab Sajaia wrote:

Dear all,

I have encountered this problem in both Stata version 9.2 and 10 and not sure whether I'm doing something wrong or it's indeed strange.

The setup is as follows:
I have a (numeric) parameter entered by a user and before executing need to check it's values to be in some range... so something like this example:

VERSION 9

POSITION . . 300 300

DIALOG main
BEGIN
EDIT ed_ed1 30 44 170 ., label("input") numonly
BUTTON bt_bt1 30 100 100 ., label ("button") onpush(program action)
END

PROGRAM action
BEGIN
if main.ed_ed1.isle("0") {
stopbox note "true"
exit
}
stopbox note "false"
END

I have here -isle- function but same happens with -islt-, -isgt-, and -isge- as well. The problem arises with numbers (-1, 1), if I put them with leading 0 (like 0.9 or -0.3) everything looks fine but if I put .9 or -.3 instead then -islt- and -isle- give wrong answer for positive fractions and -isgt- and -isge- make mistakes with negatives.

Does anyone have experienced something similar?

any thoughts would be appreciated.
Zurab

*
* For searches and help try: