Re: st: RE: Programming advice on generating loops

From   "Le Wang" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Programming advice on generating loops
Date   Wed, 2 Apr 2008 13:31:57 -0500

Nick, thanks for your comments. I tried your solution of writing a
program to write a program..but haven't really figured how.

Let me try to elaborate my problem a bit more.

I am doing grid search for N-dimension (where N is the number of
variables) for a minimization problem. For each variable, the program
calculates the widths of the grids and increments (calculated before
the grid search but not given by the user); these widths and
increments could be different. This asymmetry creates some problem
which may not be solved easily.

Example 1.

Suppose that we have two variables. For variable X, the grid is in [0
1] with an increment of .1 (11 values), for variable Y, the grid is in
 [-3 3] with an increment of .01 (601 values). Then I need to generate
a nested loop, for

forvalues i=1/11{
    forvalues j=1/601{

        .... (codes to get a value, say, g_i_j)
       (fill in the values in g[i,j] = g_i_j)
    }
}

then find out (i,j) that has the minimum in matrix g.

Example 2.

Suppose that we have three variables. For variable X, the grid is in
[0 1] with an increment of .1 (11 values), for variable Y, the grid is
in  [-3 3] with an increment of .01 (601 values), for variable Z, the
grid is in [100 200] with an increment of 20 (6 values). Then I need
to generate a nested loop, again

forvalues i=1/11{
    forvalues j=1/601{
        forvalues k=1/6{

                .... (codes to get a value, say, g_i_j_k)
               (fill in the values in g[i,j,k] = g_i_j_k)
        }
    }
}

then find out (i,j,k) that has the minimum in matrix g.

and so on.

I am not sure if I have clarified my problem. Let me know if not.

Nick's solution or similar ones may work, but I haven't succeeded in
my case. Please let me know if there is actually a simple solution to
this. Many thanks!

Best,
Le

--