RE: st: histogram with normal distribution modified

From   Ana Gabriela Guerrero Serdan <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: histogram with normal distribution modified
Date   Wed, 2 Apr 2008 05:44:23 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks Martin and Nick, the theoretical normal
distribution works perfectly!

regards,
Gaby
--- Nick Cox <[email protected]> wrote:

> Note the simple but crucial detail: you must specify
> an sd as well as a
> mean for
> a superimposed normal. You could use that of the
> data, but you must
> specify one.
>
> Nick
>
> Maarten buis
>
> --- Ana Gabriela Guerrero Serdan
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Sorry, my mean (not median) is -1 so I want a
> > hypothetical normal distribution to be centered
> around
> > 0 not -1. The reason is that I would like to
> compare
> > the distribution of my sample to a hypothetical
> > distribution.  So I want to plot both
> distributions in
> > the histogram.
>
> What about this:
>
> *-------------------- begin example
> ------------------------
> sysuse auto, clear
> sum mpg
> local sd = r(sd)
> hist mpg,
>   ///
>    plot(function y = normden(x,30,`sd'), range(12
> 41)) ///
>    legend(order(1 "density"
>   ///
>                 2 "theoretical" "normal"))
> *-------------------- end example
> --------------------------
> (For more on how to use examples I sent to the
> Statalist, see
> http://home.fsw.vu.nl/m.buis/stata/exampleFAQ.html )

> http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/res/findit.html

Gaby Guerrero Serdan