Re: st: shell

From   David Airey <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: shell
Date   Tue, 1 Apr 2008 09:34:02 -0500

.

Kevin Crow from StataCorp notes this is not a bug and warns I should not try to run this command from a terminal application in a GUI because Stata doesn't know how to bring up a Unix terminal and then open Vim.

I was led astray by misunderstanding the post about Vim by Nick Cox at:

http://fmwww.bc.edu/repec/bocode/t/textEditors.html

which said,
"The following Stata programs are examples of how vim may be called easily from within Stata to edit named files using shell or xshell or winexec. (If the version of the editor you are using is called vi, then clearly you should use that name instead.) For Unix/Linux (console) users,
program vim version 8 * discard shell vim `*' end

and for Unix/Linux (GUI) users,
program vim version 8 * discard xshell vi `*' end"
In retrospect, Nick clearly said "console" users in the first example, and in the second, xshell is not available to Mac Stata.
The Stata shell command works with bbedit, because that GUI application installs a command line tool specific to the bbedit GUI.