Re: st: special character question

From   Chris Witte <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: special character question
Date   Sun, 30 Mar 2008 20:06:14 -0700 (PDT)

forgive me if I'm making a rookie error, but I can't get these local macros to work in the "mlabel" option of a twoway connected graph.  The manual states the correct syntax is: mlabel(varlist).  How do I include the macro into the varlist?  Below is part of my graph code, where "temp" is my variable noting the temperature value to be used as my marker label:

(connected mmtl time if study=="one" & sex=="f" & trt==1, lcolor(blue) lpattern("_####") lwidth(thick) msymbol(point) mcolor(gs0) mlabel(temp) mlabsize(large) mlabcolor(gs0))

----- Original Message ----
From: Vladimir Vakhitov <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Sent: Sunday, March 30, 2008 9:41:37 PM
Subject: Re: st: special character question

Chris,

Try this:

local gr=char(176)
local t=2000
di as err "Core meltdown temperature is `t' `gr'C !!!"

I think you will get the required symbol by "C" and the idea in general.

The first 256 symbols values of the -char- function are revealed through:

forvalues i=0/255 {
local s=char(`i')
di "`i'  `s'"
}

There is an access to ASCII symbols from Stata. The issue here is that
the symbol you need is in the upper part of the table (128 to 255),
which is subject to change depending on the language settings of the
OS locale and Results window. For example, in my case this is
Cyrillic. If yours is Western (which is default), you may try 186
instead of 176 in my first example. Symbol 186 looks nicer, but it may
change if you convert you picture into wmf rather than png or jpg and
later re-open on a system with different language settings. Symbol 176
is smaller, but it is stable across different languages.

Vladimir.

--
Volodymyr Vakhitov