RE: st: Stepping through do file

From   "Buzz Burhans" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Stepping through do file
Date   Sat, 29 Mar 2008 19:11:03 -0400

Michael,

My apologies for my garbled earlier thank-you email - I was too rushed and
thus unclear, I should have been more careful.

I think the -stepdo- approach is not going to work -I am not suggesting you
refine it, but only wanted to let you know, and hope that the exchange might
stimulate StataCorp to consider adding the capability to step through -do-
files line by line while keeping the do file active.

Anyway, I have tried -stepdo- and can't seem to get it to run correctly.

The first run failed because there was a line at the top of the file
commented out as // text...; the results-screen display after running
-stepdo- with that line in the file were:

. stepdo using ...path...TDStages_History1v2.do
// ...path...TDStages_History1v2.do
unrecognized command:  / invalid command name
r(199); t=0.00 18:36:17

I think that Stata is unable to handle the -//-, as reported earlier in this
statalist post: http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2005-05/msg00115.html
Since my -do- files contain frequent comments, this probably renders this
approach unusable.

I later removed the commented out line, and it did two unexpected things;
1st, it ran multiple lines of the -do- file without stopping; second, it
failed on "cap nois log close":

. stepdo using
C:\ViewsVT\Stata\TDStages\HistoryReports\TDStages_History1v2.do
version 9.2
                        cap nois log close
unrecognized command:                   cap invalid command name
r(199); t=0.00 18:48:42

Seems it somehow doesn't recognize abbreviated commands like cap / -capture-
and disp / -display-

I suspect that the running of multiple lines instead of single lines could
be that the macro `hdl'  in the -stepdo- code does not seem to be identified
-but I am not sure.

Thanks very much for this.  I am going to try the -addpause- approach now.

Buzz

[email protected]] On Behalf Of Michael Blasnik