st: Stepping through do file

From   "Buzz Burhans" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Stepping through do file
Date   Sat, 29 Mar 2008 10:29:26 -0400

Is there a way to step through a do file other than highlighting a line in
the do file editor and running the selected lines?

I need to debug a set of do files.  I need to find places where my code is
changing the data improperly - the files run ok, so -set trace on- does not
help the error trapping in this case.

I run repeated selections by highlighting them in the do file editor. If
previous lines created a -tempfile- or local macro, it no longer exists when
I run later set of lines. For instance, if I select lines 1-10 and run them,
and a -tempfile- is created in those lines, when I later try to run lines
further in the do file that use the -tempfile-, the -tempfile- no longer
exists.

It would be really nice to step through a do file and keep it active during
the process, so local macros and tempfiles continued to be available in the
later lines.

I am using Intercooled Stata 9.2; moving to 10 but haven't loaded it yet.
Running on Win XP.

Buzz Burhans, Ph.D.

Dairy-Tech Group

Twin Falls, ID