Re: st: Definition of strata and PSUs when svysetting

From   Steven Samuels <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Definition of strata and PSUs when svysetting
Date   Fri, 28 Mar 2008 17:25:02 -0400

Angel-
I'm sorry that I missed your initial post; I was on vacation and canceled my Statalist subscription. I agree with Stas's suggestion for the first specification.

I have some questions

1. Your description implies that you created a list of ALL people in each selected tract, stratified by age. Then selected by simple random sampling: 7 from the below 65 list; 3 from the over 65 list. Is that a correct description? Or, was there intermediate sampling of dwellings?

2. Your PSU's are census tracts, not people. ("Primary" refers only to the first stage.) You are saying that in some of the census tracts, you had only one person either under or 'over' 65. Is that correct?

For those tracts, I suggest that you go with option 1, but ignore the stratification, but keep the sampling probabilities. That is, create a single stratum for those tracts by recoding.

You may still analyze your outcomes by age. The analysis age groups need not match the stratum age-groups.

-Steven