RE: st: Running an empty model using xtmixed

From   "Yamamoto, Satomi" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Running an empty model using xtmixed
Date   Fri, 28 Mar 2008 14:38:02 -0500

Hello,

Thank you, Bobby.
I apprecaite your help.

Sincerely,
Satomi

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Roberto G. Gutierrez, StataCorp
Sent: Friday, March 28, 2008 2:12 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: Running an empty model using xtmixed

Satomi Yamamoto <[email protected]> asks:

> Could I use the xtmixed command to run a null model?  I used the
> pig.dta data (http://www.stata-press.com/data/r10/pig.dta) and run

> xtmixed weight||id:, var

> But, I was not able to converge the data:

[...]

> Is there another way of running the intercept only model in Stata?
> Or, did I forget to include options in xtmixed? It would be great if
> somebody could help me wit this.

There is nothing that states you can't fit a null model with -xtmixed-, and the syntax you use is the correct one.  It is just that in your particular case -xtmixed- failed to converge, most likely because of a near-zero variance component at the -id- level.

    . sysuse auto, clear
    . xtmixed mpg || rep78:

does converge.  In fact, you can even be more "null" and do

    . xtmixed mpg

or if you want to get really crazy

    . xtmixed mpg, nocons

--Bobby