Re: st: poisson exposure problem

Subject   Re: st: poisson exposure problem
Date   Fri, 28 Mar 2008 10:34:49 -0400

Philip Ender and Steven Samuels:

I think this is fine to model using a Poisson regression, though a
fractional logit (Papke and Wooldridge 1996) and other models are also
possibilities.  But I think the cases with zero exposure supply no
information, in the context of the model specified, and are rightly
dropped.  These are like cases with no observations, and can therefore
supply no information to form estimates about the rate at which events
happen.

Leslie E. Papke and Jeffrey M. Wooldridge. 1996. "Econometric Methods
for Fractional Response Variables with an Application to 401(k) Plan
Participation Rates." Journal of Applied Econometrics, 11(6): 619-632.
[see also http://www.nber.org/papers/t0147.pdf]