st: re: installing gam

From   Kit Baum <>
Subject   st: re: installing gam
Date   Wed, 26 Mar 2008 22:16:08 -0400

Laura said

I have been trying to install gam on stata (version 9.2) and have
encountered a number of problems. I initially installed it by typing
search gam and following the links that came up. This then didn't run
properly so I checked the stata web pages and found that I should have
installed it via the ssc command. I have uninstalled the previous version
and typed 'ssc install gam' as suggested but it just tells me there is
'nothing to install'. Does anyone have any suggestions?

This is a peculiar package for SSC in that it does not contain ado and hlp files; only a zip file. If you

ssc desc gam

and then, as indicated,

. net get gam
checking gam consistency and verifying not already installed...
copying into current directory...
ancillary files successfully copied.

You will then have the materials, and you need to unzip It will be in your current working directory. The gam program only works on Windows.

* For searches and help try: