st: Re: spline regression (Kit Baum)

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: spline regression (Kit Baum)
Date   Tue, 25 Mar 2008 06:48:22 -0400

Mohammed,

If you graph x vs y, and break the line at the knot points, a linear spline allows the line to have kinks, like a dot-to-dot drawing. A quadratic spline has constant first derivatives == slopes at the knot points, so that it will not have any kinks. I don't know how to explain a second derivative in this context except to say that a curved line may have more or less curvature (such as a railroad track on a curve may be a broad curve or a sharp curve) and holding the second derivative constant causes the degree of curvature to be equal before and after the knot point (so that the locomotive will not derail at the knot point).

http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html