Re: st: MATA: Dynamic Variable Names in MATA

From   "Sergiy Radyakin" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: MATA: Dynamic Variable Names in MATA
Date   Sat, 22 Mar 2008 18:42:13 -0400

Dear Nicholas,

the feature that would be helpful in your case is called a matrix. In
fact MATA is very good at manipulating matrices.

mata
hello=J(1,10,.)
for(x=1;x<=count; x++) {
  hello[x]=x*10
}
hello[3]

The way of manipulating variables you described was devised to
overcome the handicap Stata had at that time (no arrays). Since it
supports arrays now, there is really no need to use this (IMHO exotic)
way of programming.

Best regards, Sergiy Radyakin