Re: st: RE: multilevel

From   "Daniel Macneil" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: multilevel
Date   Tue, 18 Mar 2008 14:23:50 -0400

Dear Nick,

you solved my problems. the link to the FAQ that you had written is fabulous, crystal clear.

james

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 13:59:15 -0000
 "Nick Cox" <[email protected]> wrote:
The number of children in school in each household may be put in a
variable by
egen inschool = total(school), by(household_code)
-inschool- will thus be constant within household.
You can tag just one observation in each household by
egen tag = tag(household_code)
and then
tab inschool if tag
See also various FAQs, e.g.
FAQ . . Creating variables recording whether any or all possess some
char.
2/03 How do I create a variable recording whether any
members of a group (or all members of a group)
possess some characteristic?
http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/anyall.html

Daniel Macneil

I am stumped on what i thought was an easy problem. I have children
(id_code) within families(household_code) who go to school (1) or not(0). How do I find
the mean values (or even table) at the household level for how many children are in school? I
know I can use xtsum to get the std dev within and between, but about just finding out: the number
of families with ALL children in school, SOME children in school and NO children in school,
e.g.

| househ~e id_code sex age school |
|--------------------------------------------|
4. | 1 4 Female 6 0 |