Re: st: label after recode

From   Phil Schumm <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: label after recode
Date   Thu, 20 Mar 2008 05:47:57 -0500

On Mar 20, 2008, at 4:17 AM, Christopher Intemann wrote:
in order to fit the distribution of wildtypes/genotypes in my population, I want to change the order of the values coded in z1_gene_x. I'm using the recode command:
<snip>

. recode z1_gene_x 1=2 2=1
(z1_gene_x: 4692 changes made)
<snip>

It seems like recode actually does what it is supposed to. However, it does not change the label, what is somehow confusing. According to the manual, recode supports the label option, but not for just keeping the label...

-recode- won't automatically remap the original value labels based on your transformation. What it will permit you to do is to define a new value label simultaneously. Thus, for example, you could do

recode z1_gene_x (1=2 G) (2=1 T), gen(foo)

which would generate a new variable called foo containing the recoded variable, together with a value label called foo which maps 1 to "T" and 2 to "G". The -label- option merely lets you alter the name of the value label that is created.

Note that this approach requires that you create a new variable (i.e., with the -generate- option). The advantage is that you are able to recode the variable and create the new value label all in a single command, and that by bundling the two operations together syntatically, you are less likely to make an error (i.e., to map a value to the wrong label).

-- Phil

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/