Re: st: Marginal effects in (bi)probit models

Subject   Re: st: Marginal effects in (bi)probit models
Date   Mon, 17 Mar 2008 12:58:03 -0400

Martin Watts <[email protected]>:
I can think of a few reasons why your question might have generated no
replies, but my best guess is that it is too ambiguous to spark a
response.  There are a number of kinds of marginal effects that can be
calculated after a probit-type model and myriad ways of estimating
them, but one is to impute two values to the entire sample and
calculate the mean difference in predictions, e.g.

sysuse nlsw88
g cxh=collgr*hours
g cxw=collgr*wage
probit nev collgr wage hours cxh cxw, nolog
preserve
replace collg=1
* Now redefine every variable in which collgr appears:
replace cxh=collgr*hours
replace cxw=collgr*wage
predict p1, p
replace collg=0
replace cxh=collgr*hours
replace cxw=collgr*wage
predict p0, p
g margeff=p1-p0
su margeff
restore

This type of "brute force" approach is always available, and has many
desirable properties.  Conceptually, it is like an Average Treatment
Effect (ATE) estimate, with no matching or reweighting.

To get standard errors, you can wrap the whole thing in a -program-
and bootstrap:

cap prog drop mfcoll
prog mfcoll, eclass
 probit nev collgr wage hours cxh cxw, nolog
 g samp=e(sample)
 preserve
 replace collg=1
 replace cxh=collgr*hours
 replace cxw=collgr*wage
 predict p1, p
 replace collg=0
 replace cxh=collgr*hours
 replace cxw=collgr*wage
 predict p0, p
 g margeff=p1-p0
 su margeff
 mat b=r(mean)
 restore
 ereturn post b, es(samp)
 end
bs: mfcoll

See also -help adjust- for a different approach.