st: sjlatex under MiKTeX 2.4 and above

From   "Newson, Roger B" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: sjlatex under MiKTeX 2.4 and above
Date   Mon, 17 Mar 2008 13:08:45 -0000

Has anybody else attempted to use the latest SJ LaTeX (see -whelp
sjlatex-) under MiKTeX Revisions 2.4 or above under Windows? And, if so,
have they had any problems?

I ask because I seem to be having problems. Under my Stata 10 (which is
up to date according to -update query-), the online help for -sjlatex-
states that -sjlatex- has been tested under MiKTeX 2.3. My MiKTeX is
MiKTeX Revision 2.4.1779, and the latest update on
http://www.miktex.org/
is MiKTeX 2.7. I attempted to install the new -sjlatex- by typing

sjlatex install using C:\sjtemp

which worked, creating a new foldet c:\sjtemp under my Windows XP
system. However, when I ran the -doit,bat- file to input main.tex and
output main.ps, LaTeX aborted with the message (in main.log)

%%%% BEGINNING OF TeX LOG - CUT HERE
(C:\texmf\tex\latex\xcolor\xcolor.sty
Package: xcolor 2005/12/21 v2.09 LaTeX color extensions (UK)
 (C:\texmf\tex\latex\00miktex\color.cfg
File: color.cfg 2005/12/29 v1.1 MiKTeX 'color' configuration
)
Package xcolor Info: Package option `override' ignored on input line
211.
Package xcolor Info: Driver file: dvips.def on input line 220.
LaTeX Info: Redefining \color on input line 692.
Package xcolor Info: Model `cmy' substituted by `cmy0' on input line
1328.
Package xcolor Info: Model `RGB' extended on input line 1344.
Package xcolor Info: Model `HTML' substituted by `rgb' on input line
1346.
Package xcolor Info: Model `Hsb' substituted by `hsb' on input line
1347.
Package xcolor Info: Model `tHsb' substituted by `hsb' on input line
1348.
Package xcolor Info: Model `HSB' substituted by `hsb' on input line
1349.
Package xcolor Info: Model `Gray' substituted by `gray' on input line
1350.
Package xcolor Info: Model `wave' substituted by `hsb' on input line
1351.
))
\st@box=\box30
\st@box@wd=\dimen132
\st@box@ht=\dimen133
\st@box@dp=\dimen134
! Font \mmbf=ptmb at 9.6pt not loadable: Metric (TFM) file not found.
l.128 \font\mmbf=ptmb at 9.6pt

?
%%%% END OF TeX LOG - CUT HERE

This suggests (to me) that there is a TeX font metric (TFM) file, used
by -sjlatex-, which is present under MiKTeX 2.3, but which is not
available under MiKTeX 2.4.

Fortunately, I still have my old SJ LaTeX (dated 26.06.2007), which
still works, although it is a bit out of date. However, there must
presumably be users of MiKTeX 2.4 and above under Windows who also use
sjlatex, and would like to have the latest sjlatex. Have any of them had
any problems?

Best wishes (and thanks in advance)

Roger

Roger B Newson