st: Question about technical term and use of external programs by Stata

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Question about technical term and use of external programs by Stata
Date   Mon, 17 Mar 2008 08:56:54 -0300 (BRT)

I am deeply indebted and grateful to those who have assisted me in my
previous question. thanks a lot to Maarten, Austin , Tom Sergiy and
Joseph!

All the best

Tiago

Dear All,

Would it be possible to you to provide me the technical term (the problem
here is the English) of the process by which Stata calls another program,
which, in turn, does all calculations and sends results back to Stata?

I just have written a program that I think it will be very useful to other
Stata users. Nonetheless, since the current Stata programming does not
support very well "heavy", exact tests, for some calculations Stata calls
a fortran program do to the task. Is this an elegant way to do something
in Stata that cannot be done in terms of standard Stata programming? The
program in a .exe file renamed to .ado. The source code is available for
Unix users. Hence, I would like to know your previous experience with this
kind of stuff as well as if there is a problem in making that program ( a
.exe masked as .ado) available?

All the best,

Tiago