Re: st: RE: Any suggestions for profile.do?

From   Nick Winter <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Any suggestions for profile.do?
Date   Fri, 14 Mar 2008 12:44:14 -0400

In a "less is more" vein, I note that both -set mem- and -set matsize- allow the -permanent- options, which removed the need to have them in profile.do.

And you can specify a different starting directory on installation. Not sure if that can be changed after installation...

Nick Winter

Nick Cox wrote:

On your last question, proper installation through -net- or -ssc- (which is just an elaborate wrapper for -net-) takes care of that. Conversely, I don't think there is anything you could put in a profile.do that will stop you putting files in dopey places if you are so minded (except -exit, STATA-).
I include this in my profile.do (local details suppressed)
set httpproxy on
set httpproxyhost <whatever> set httpproxyport 8080
and that's essential when it's essential. See help on -netio-.
There's software for which there's a deep art, or some kind of chutzpah, in building up a long personalised initialisation file full of clever tricks, but I am not sure that Stata is included under that heading.
Nick
Allan Joseph Medwick

I just reinstalled Stata and I would like to keep my installation
directory clean. What are some good tips for making efficient use of
profile.do?

So far, I have included the following commands:

set mem 500m
set matsize 5000
cd C:\Users\amedwick\Documents\Stata

Is there a way to keep updates from STB, SJ, SSC in their own folders?
Anything else should I include?

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/
Nicholas Winter                                 434.924.6994 t
Assistant Professor                             434.924.3359 f
Department of Politics                  [email protected] e
University of Virginia          faculty.virginia.edu/nwinter w
PO Box 400787, 100 Cabell Hall
Charlottesville, VA 22904