RE: st: cumulative probabilities under competing risks with covariate adjustment

From   "Allen Buxton" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: cumulative probabilities under competing risks with covariate adjustment
Date   Fri, 14 Mar 2008 07:49:47 -0700

-Thank you.  This is a timely post as I was just working with cmprsk this week. I have one comment. On investigation, I find that in Windows XP rsource needs an 'r' added to the end of the rpath() option and the R option, --save, in order to run and print the R-results in the Stata log. (Also the R function savePlot() had to be taken out of the .R file).

rsource using `"C:\...\note02.R"',rpath(C:\Program Files\R\R-2.6.2\bin\r) roptions(--save)

this is the same as the Stata shell

shell C:\Program Files\R\R-2.6.2\bin\r --save  <"C:\...\note02.R"> "C:\MyPrjct\Rexm00\junk.Rout"

Thanks,
Allen

Allen Buxton
CureSearch, Children's Oncology Group

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Enzo Coviello
Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2008 9:55 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: cumulative probabilities under competing risks with covariate adjustment

Dear Uri Goldgerg,

thanks for using -stcompet-

>Do you know of any plan to advance this matter?
>This has enormous importance in analysis of the old cohort studies
>where long-term follow up of mortality and/or the incidence of dementia
>have been instituted and relating them to mid-life levels of risk
>factors is sought.

At the last Italian Stata Meeting prof. Bill Gould said that the competing risks matter is in the "wish" (or "doing") list of the Stata Corporation.
Since this is a public mail I believe that prof Gutierrez or Gould could directly give a more precise reply.

The -rsource- command, written by R. Newson, allows to run R from within Stata. So, in the meanwhile you could use the -cmprsk- R-package from within Stata and import the results.

As further Stata opportunities in competing risks, even if not directly addressing our problem, there is -stpepemori- available on the SSC archive, testing the equality of two cumulative incidence functions, and new codes of
-strs- (a command estimating relative survival) that allows to compute cumulative incidence without knowing the cause of death, making use of the expected probabilities of death. This new version of -strs- is not yet available on the web but I can send on request the preliminary version.

Best wishes.

Enzo

Enzo Coviello
Unit� di Epidemiologia e Statistica ASL BARI Piazza V.  Emanuele 14
70054 Giovinazzo (Bari)
Italy
tel./fax +39 080 3357867
mobile +39 347 5016 016