Re: st: RE: RE: ttest or xtmelogit?

From   "Joseph Coveney" <>
To   "Statalist" <>
Subject   Re: st: RE: RE: ttest or xtmelogit?
Date   Fri, 14 Mar 2008 23:05:18 +0900

Jay Verkuilen wrote:

Wasn't suggesting it for the mixed model, just that in a classic
clustering scenario like is here, using clustered resampling or
jackknifing is an alternative to the parametric assumptions on summary
measures. In a small sample mixed model case, I suspect that going to a
fully Bayesian model is the only way to go. Even then things may not
work so well.

I look forward to hearing the answer you and David come up with.

Sorry, Jay,  about my misreading.  Resampling certainly is an alternative.
It would be interesting to see how the bootstrap compares in a study like
David's under those potential outcomes in which summary measures would not
be expected to fare so well, e.g., binomial expectations in the neighborhood
of 0 of 50 or 50 of 50.

I share your suspicions about mixed models in small samples, Messrs. Kenward
and Roger notwithstanding.

Joseph Coveney