Re: st: Comparing results from two separate t-tests

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: Comparing results from two separate t-tests
Date   Wed, 12 Mar 2008 19:58:20 +0000 (GMT)

Assuming that you have two dumies called treatment (1=treatment,
0=control) and liberal (1=liberal, 0=conservative), and that your
outcome variable is called y then you want:

anova y treatment liberal treatment*liberal

xi: regress y i.treatment*i.liberal

The two are actually the same.

If you want to read more about this, than the term you are looking for
is "interaction effect".

Hope this helps,

--- Geoff Wallace <> wrote:

> Dear All,
> I have had problems trying to test for whether the treatment effects
> for
> two groups of respondents (conservatives and liberals) in a social
> science experimental questionnaire I am using are significantly
> different. I used the -ttest- command to obtain the difference of
> means
> across the treatment and control group first for the conservative
> respondent subsample and then repeated the procedure for the liberal
> respondent subsample. I should also note that I used the –unpaired-
> option for each command since the data are not paired. The output
> from
> the two -ttest- commands yields a separate treatment effect for each
> subsample. However, I am having trouble figuring out how to use Stata
> perform a corresponding ttest on the two separate difference of
> means. I
> tried using -est store- after each -ttest- command, but as I expected
> this option does not appear to work with –ttest-.
> Any help would be much appreciated.
> Best, Geoff
> --
> Geoffrey P.R. Wallace