Re: st: Question about technical term and use of external programs by Stata

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: Question about technical term and use of external programs by Stata
Date   Tue, 11 Mar 2008 21:15:06 +0000 (GMT)

You might want to look at a plugin, but I believe this is limited to C

Hope this helps,

--- wrote:

> Dear All,
> Would it be possible to you to provide me the technical term (the
> problem
> here is the English) of the process by which Stata calls another
> program,
> which, in turn, does all calculations and sends results back to
> Stata?
> I just have written a program that I think it will be very useful to
> other
> Stata users. Nonetheless, since the current Stata programming does
> not
> support very well "heavy", exact tests, for some calculations Stata
> calls
> a fortran program do to the task. Is this an elegant way to do
> something
> in Stata that cannot be done in terms of standard Stata programming?
> The
> program in a .exe file renamed to .ado. The source code is available
> for
> Unix users. Hence, I would like to know your previous experience with
> this
> kind of stuff as well as if there is a problem in making that program
> ( a
> .exe masked as .ado) available?
> All the best,
> Tiago