RE: st: histogram with normal distribution modified

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   RE: st: histogram with normal distribution modified
Date   Mon, 10 Mar 2008 09:37:30 -0000

Note the simple but crucial detail: you must specify an sd as well as a
mean for
a superimposed normal. You could use that of the data, but you must
specify one.

Maarten buis

--- Ana Gabriela Guerrero Serdan <> wrote:
> Sorry, my mean (not median) is -1 so I want a
> hypothetical normal distribution to be centered around
> 0 not -1. The reason is that I would like to compare
> the distribution of my sample to a hypothetical
> distribution.  So I want to plot both distributions in
> the histogram.

What about this:

sysuse auto, clear
sum mpg
local sd = r(sd)
hist mpg,                                              ///
   plot(function y = normden(x,30,`sd'), range(12 41)) ///
   legend(order(1 "density"                            ///
                2 "theoretical" "normal"))
(For more on how to use examples I sent to the Statalist, see )