RE: st: RE: condensing varlist non-categorical contents to a newvar

From   "b. water" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: condensing varlist non-categorical contents to a newvar
Date   Thu, 6 Mar 2008 23:04:47 +0000

ok, found a solution but would still appreciate advice for alternative way(s) for achieving the desired aim. here's what i did:

first i create a copy variable to protect the original as per nick cox's advice (this is just a simple -gen-), then i -gsort- the copy varlist, which sort missing first and so on. then i list them - make a note of the number of observation when type of injury changes then use -gen- i.e. gen str# newvar = "minimal" in 1/4153, followed by -replace- for the remaining. these get me what i wanted but like i said, would appreciate feedback from others on how the same maybe achieved in different (perhaps less convoluted) ways.

regards,
bw