Re: st: Incidence rate ratio

From   Svend Juul <SJ@SOCI.AU.DK>
Subject   Re: st: Incidence rate ratio
Date   Thu, 6 Mar 2008 16:50:39 +0100

Mohammed El Faramawi wrote:
I am trying to calculate the incidence rate ratio(IRR)
for a categorical variable ( Mortality) which  has
two categories only ( dead or alive) in a probability
weighted sample. I am also trying to adjust for
covariates. I know that poisson regression can be used
to calculate  (IRR) and adjust for covariates given
that the outcome is  a count for example the number of
deaths, number stroke attacks, etc . My question is
what regression should I use  in such a situation i.e
outcome which is not count.Can I still use poisson
regression which I doubt it?? Thank you
You can use the -poisson- command with individual or aggregated data;
the examples in the manual and the help file are with aggregated data,
but the command works fine with individual data, coded 1 for dead and
0 for alive. To estimate the incidence rate ratio, each individual's
time at risk should also be recorded, here as the variable -risktime-.
  . poisson died x1 x2 x3, exposure(risktime) irr
Hope this helps,
Svend Juul
Vennelyst Boulevard 6
DK-8000 Aarhus C,  Denmark