Re: st: querying format for programming

From   "E. Paul Wileyto" <>
Subject   Re: st: querying format for programming
Date   Thu, 06 Mar 2008 08:54:13 -0500

Thanks.  Third option is what I needed.

Maarten buis wrote:
--- "E. Paul Wileyto" <> wrote:

I need to convert the new date/time format (%tc) to the old standard (%td). However, I need to make sure I don't apply the conversion to non-%tc formats. (Bad things happen.) Is there a function that
queries a variable and returns the format (so that I can capture it
as a macro)?
First, did you know that you can save files in Stata8/9 format using
the -saveold- command?

Second, you can get a list of all variables with a certain format, to
be specified by you, using the -ds- command, see: -help ds-.

Third, you can get the format of a variable in a macro using extended
macro functions (in particular the extended macro function called -format-), see -help extended_fcn-.

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081