Re: st: calculating outer products

From   "Austin Nichols" <>
Subject   Re: st: calculating outer products
Date   Wed, 5 Mar 2008 11:34:18 -0500

Stephen Younger <>:
I sincerely doubt you need to calculate such large products, but see

help mat accum
help mf_cross

Maybe if you describe the actual calculation, using a -sysuse- dataset like so:

sysuse auto, clear
reg mpg wei, nohe
mat li e(V)
mat accum xx=wei
predict e, res
g e2=e^2
su e2
loc s=r(mean)
mat V=74/(72)*`s'*invsym(xx)
mat li V

someone can suggest a more efficient solution (probably using Mata).

Are you by any chance recreating the -cluster- option?