st: RE: xtpcse vs. newey2 or itivreg2

Subject   st: RE: xtpcse vs. newey2 or itivreg2
Date   Mon, 3 Mar 2008 16:12:51 -0000

Mark

Not quite.  As I understand it, xtpcse uses a specific functional form,
namely AR(1).  xtivreg2 (and newey2) do not.  Rather, they are robust to
arbitrary autocorrelation, but underlying this are asymptotics that
require the number of lags used in the calculation (the bandwidth) to go
off to infinity.

Hayashi's (2000) "Econometrics" textbook has a good discussion.  For a
very abbreviated discussion, see Baum-Schaffer-Stillman in the latest
issue of the SJ (Vol. 7, No. 4, 2007).

> I ask because newey2 offers better results than xtpcse but I
> wonder if that is because newey2 does not correct for
> contemporaneously correlated errors. If not, then I will go
> with the newey2 estimates.
>
> 2. Is the only difference here between newey2 AND xtivreg2
> that xtivreg makes an adjustment for the degrees of freedom?

No, it's the other way around.  newey2 makes a small-sample adjustment
and reports t-stats.  xtivreg2 will make this adjustment if you supply
the -small- option; without it, it reports z-stats and does not make the
adjustment.

Also, xtivreg2 has a wide range of kernels available beyond the Bartlett
kernel ("Newey-West") used by newey2.  There are some other differences
as well (e.g., handling of gaps in time series, which I think xtivreg2
handles more gracefully - at least, Kit Baum and I put a fair amount of
thought into how to handle it in the straight time series context).

Cheers,
Mark (author of xtivreg2)

Prof. Mark E. Schaffer
Director
Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation
Department of Economics
School of Management & Languages
Heriot-Watt University
Edinburgh EH14 4AS  UK