RE: st: Bootstrapped skewness-adjusted t-stat question

From   "Rajesh Tharyan" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Bootstrapped skewness-adjusted t-stat question
Date   Mon, 3 Mar 2008 13:37:14 -0000

Hi,

The skewness adjustment in LBT(1999) is due to Johnson (1978).There is a
user written ado which calculates the skewness adjusted t stats for you.

. findit johnson

I think we could incorporate this into the program to get what you want. I
am not sure if this is right but
this is what I did. The $S_7 in the johnson ado is the skewness adjusted t
statistic.

In the below program I did try to include size as follows

bootstrap r(ratio), saving(C:\mydata, replace) reps(1000) size(10): skewt
But that didn't change anything it shows that it uses all the 74
observations. However, after I run the program and say

. return list

It shows that r(N) =  10.

******start************
sysuse auto,clear
keep mpg

capture program drop skewt
program define skewt, rclass
version 9
johnson mpg=0
return scalar ratio = $S_7
end

bootstrap r(ratio), saving(C:\mydata, replace) reps(1000): skewt

estat bootstrap, all
use C:\mydata,clear
histogram  _bs_1
centile _bs_1, centile(2.5, 97.5)