st: RE: How to create a rank?

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: How to create a rank?
Date   Sun, 2 Mar 2008 17:31:13 -0000

As you want a rank, I suggest the use of -egen, rank()-.

-egen, group()- is only going to produce an equivalent result if there
are no ties.

You get rank of 1 for highest by negating the variable:

drop rank
egen rank = rank(-revenue)

This point and related stuff are discussed in

Song (a.k.a. Reo)

I am trying to create 'rank' based on total revenues. I used the following

sort revenue
egen rank=group(revenue)

The result is that the smallest revenue is 1 and the highest revenue is 100,
for example. How can I reverse the rank? I want the highest revenue to be
number '1'.