st: Correcting stanadard error in 2SLS

From   "Eva Poen" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Correcting stanadard error in 2SLS
Date   Fri, 29 Feb 2008 13:11:48 +0000

A friend of mine is having problems posting to statalist. I am sending
this on her behalf.

Eva

*************************************
From: Bidisha Sayema [[email protected]]

Dear Statalisters

I posted a mail few weeks before but havent got any reply. In
connection to that problem (pls see below) I am writing once again as
I am using bootstrap as a method of solution.

I am using 2 sample 2 stage least square method (Angrist & Krueger
1990). I would like to draw a bootstrap sample of my 1st sample (where
explanatory variable X and instruments Zs are present) and from that I
estimate the parametres needed to estimate the predicted value of X.
Then I want to draw the 2nd sample (which has our dependent variable Y
and instruments Z) and use that sample (and combine the parametres
from the 1st estimation) to generate a predicted value of X. With this
2nd sample I want to run the regression of Y on predicted value of X
and estimate the coefficients. I want to repeat all these steps 1000
times and want to estimate the SEs of the coefficients of our final
regression by the standard deviation of the bootstrap estimates.

My question is (very basic though) if I just run 2 separate bootstrap
regression of 1000 reps in both of the stages, will that give me the
result that I want to have (as outlined in last para)? My question is
if I do separate bootstrap regressions then will STATA  be able to
correct the bias in SE generated by using predicted value in the 2nd
stage regression?

Many thanks in advance.

Best Regards
Bidisha