Re: st: Survival analysis gurus

From   Richard Gibson <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Survival analysis gurus
Date   Thu, 28 Feb 2008 00:49:03 +1100

Thanks Maarten, your response and the reference are very helpful!

I am still thinking (my bedtime and your coffee time), but off the cuff;:

re Q2:  the time varying suggestion for the treatment is most interesting -seems like a good idea - thanks.  and.. Fortunately, this is my job and not my dissertation  (that is some other story).

Also Q2:  We have followed the cohort to every destination.  Our participants leave and return on multiple occasions and these movements have been documented..

Re Q3:  Sure, I will have to take the clustering into account, but sought the overall framework of time first,

Also Q3," I would add age as a time varying control variable."   In that case, age would be perfectly correlated with time....  I am not sure that applying age as a time varying covariate is such a good idea in this situation...I think the choices are  baseline age, or centred age (much the same) or age as time....

Richard

>>> Maarten buis <[email protected]> 27/02/2008 23:16:09 >>>
question 1:
Cox regression is pretty typical in these kinds of studies. In Stata
this is implemented as -stcox-.

question 2:
If you continue to follow respondents that move than that is not a
problem but actually a bonus, especially if they move from institions
that are a control to an institution that are a treatment or vice
versa. This allows you to add your treatment dummy as a so called time
varying covariate.

If you do not follow them than that is a problem. Survival analysis is
designed for dealing with respondents that leave the study without
experiencing the event (called right censoring), but it assumes that
this the probability of being right censored is unrelated to
experiencing the event. I have known a PhD student studying the effect
of friendship networks on health events in elderly people who was
forced to abondon that research because of the same problem you just
described (they did not follow the respondents when they moved).

question 3:
I would add age as a time varying control variable.

One question you have not asked is how to deal with the fact that your
respondents are nested within institutions. -stcox- allows for this
using the -shared- option.

When you are doing such an analysis you will want to have a good book
on your desk. A book I have found very useful is "An introduction to
survival analysis using Stata" by Mario Cleves, William Gould, and
Roberto Gutierrez:
http://www.stata-press.com/books/saus.html

Hope this helps,
Maarten