st: Count observations per year

From   "Dascha Orlova" <>
Subject   st: Count observations per year
Date   Tue, 12 Feb 2008 15:04:44 +0100

Dear Statalisters,

my question is fairy basic but I fail to find a solution myself. I have a sample of projects of N firms from 1990 till now. It looks this:

year firm inventory
1990 X1    a
1990 x2    b
1990 x3    c
1990 x3    d
2000 x2    e
2000 x3    f

The problem is: the only thing I am really interested in is the number on the projects per firm per year. So it should look like this:

firm inv1990 inv2000
x1   1       0
x2   1       1
x3   2       1

Is there any count function which I can apply to modify my dataset like this given that the number of firms is quite large?

Thanks for your help!

Psst! Geheimtipp: Online Games kostenlos spielen bei den GMX Free Games! Spa▀garantie pur: