st: Help with Principal Components

From   Belen Dias <>
Subject   st: Help with Principal Components
Date   Mon, 11 Feb 2008 16:22:12 -0800 (PST)

Me and a friend are using principal components to make
an index comprising 8 different variables (we're
basically using the first principal component as my
index). I have a two-part question.

1. How do I obtain the weights assigned to each

2. Can we obtain the standard errors of the
predicted values after using -factor, pcf- ? My friend
says that we can get standard errors in principal
components analysis, I say that, being PCA a
transformational procedure, there's no model and
therefore no errors. Who's right?

Best regards,