Re: st: RE: working with large datasets

From   "Sergiy Radyakin" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: working with large datasets
Date   Mon, 11 Feb 2008 17:11:48 -0500

Hello Adrian,

according to:
http://www.stata.com/products/64bitintro.html
"You are limited only by the total amount of memory on your machine."

So just install 32Gb of memory and give it a try. I would like to hear
about the results very much.

Be aware however, (in light of the recent discussions of the pointer
size) that you might still be constrained by a 32bit nature of the
observation number. (E.g. you can have about 2000mln obs in your
dataset, not enough for a census of China and India together).

Also be prepared to through in some more memory for large datasets if
they are of the "long" nature (many observations, few variables),
because Stata commands create additional temporary variables when they
run. So if you have 30Gb in 5 variables, be prepared to provide up to
60Gb of memory :)

Best regards,
   Sergiy Radyakin