st: Data Expansion Question

From   "Lektzian, David" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Data Expansion Question
Date   Thu, 31 Jan 2008 10:58:26 -0600

Dear Statalist,
I have a question regarding the expansion of a cross-sectional
time-series dataset that I am working with.  Basically, I have cases
with an indicator of the duration of the case in years.  I would like to
expand this data out so that there is a separate observation for each
year that the case existed.  I would also like to include a count of
which year the case is in, and a year variable tracking the year.  Could
anybody help me with the creation of a simple do file that would expand
the data?

This is the way the original data looks:
Unique case identifier    duration     count      year        many
additional variables
1                            4          1         1990              x
2                            3          1         1995              x
.
.
.
I want to expand the data to look like this:
Unique case identifier    duration     count      year       many
additional variables
1                         4             1         1990                x
1                         4             2         1991                x
1                         4             3         1992                x
1                         4             4         1993                x
2                         3             1         1995                x
2                         3             2         1996                x
2                         3             3         1997                x

Thanks for any help that you can provide,
David

David Lektzian
Assistant Professor
Department of Political Science