RE: st: differences between kdensity plots

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: differences between kdensity plots
Date   Wed, 30 Jan 2008 14:20:25 -0000

Fond though I am of density estimation, I would be a little queasy about
this. There are several little choices, in terms of which kernel, which
bandwidth, which mesh of points is used for storing estimates, etc., and
as you end up calculating a difference, small quirks might be magnified.

I trust Rich is also considering other graphical handles on comparing
his distributions, including quantile-quantile plots, and variants on
them discussed in

Stata tip 47: Quantile-quantile plots without programming.
SJ 7(2):275--279

And also -stripplot- from SSC which offers various ways to show the raw
data.

Incidentally, see -range- as an alternative to the -generate- statement
here in Austin's code.