Re: st: Error 909: obs must be between 0 and NNN

From   "Sergiy Radyakin" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Error 909: obs must be between 0 and NNN
Date   Tue, 29 Jan 2008 12:33:40 -0500

Dear William,

thank you for the explanation. I am actually surprized that the
pointers turned out to be 32bit wide on 64bit machines. I thought
Stata stores data by observation, and has an index of pointers, which
shows memory addresses of each observation.  Which is very convenient
for sorting, as the observations themselves do not have to be moved,
but rather their pointers can be reordered. But then the dataset is
limited in size to the maximum span of the pointer (4G for 32 bit). So
these pointers must be used for some other purposes.

But anyway, thank you very much for the reply. I will be using 4bytes
per observation to correctly compute memory requirements.

Best,
   Sergiy