Re: st: Question on Estimating ARIMA with Gaps in the Series

From   Robert A Yaffee <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Question on Estimating ARIMA with Gaps in the Series
Date   Mon, 28 Jan 2008 20:42:23 -0500

Andrew,
  It is my understanding that Stata uses a state space model to run the ARIMA.
Although state space models can filter the missing observations, the failure to
properly interpolate the missing values will corrupt the ACF and PACF.  It may
also impair the significance tests.
  In The Statistical Analysis of Missing Data (1987) by Rod Little and Don Rubin, they
recommend using the state space Kalman filter to estimate the missing values (p.165ff).
They also suggest that this may also be done with an EM algorithm, such imputation carries
with it some assumptions--specifically that all of the
unobserved components in the model are properly specified.  However, there needs
to be proper filtering of the error variances along with the updating of the estimated level.
  Stata uses the Kalman filter updating to for the level in the state vector as well
as to update the variances from the covariance matirx as well.
  This may work well for small gaps, but when the gaps constitute sizeable chunks of the
series, your results may be less than adequate.  You should not have whole seasons
missing from your sample if you have to model seasonality,for example.
        Regards,
               Bob Yaffee