st: Performing -mdslong- on a constant

From   Zachary Neal <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Performing -mdslong- on a constant
Date   Mon, 28 Jan 2008 06:35:07 -0800 (PST)

This is a more general question about multidimensional
scaling, but I can't tell if the answer may have
something to do with the way stata executes the
command.

I am trying to figure out the meaning of the
configuration that is yielded by -mdslong- when
applied to a constant (i.e. all point-to-point
distances are equal).  Intuitively, I would expect a
regular pattern that is independent of the number of
points and magnitude of the constant - perhaps a
circle, or a uniform distribution.  But, the number of
points and magnitude of the constant seem to matter,
with each combination yielding a unique configuration.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a reference
that might explain what is happening here?

Thank you
Zachary Neal

Zachary Neal, ABD
Managing Editor, City & Community