Re: st: Why was -index()- dropped?

From   "Fred Wolfe" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Why was -index()- dropped?
Date   Thu, 24 Jan 2008 15:25:17 -0600

It's kind of my fault for not knowing this, but -ssc install concord,
replace- doesn't find a new version. But if you know there is one (as
I now do) you can get it through -findit-..

. which concord, all

c:\ado\stbplus\c\concord.ado
*! 3.0.3  6oct2004  TJS & NJC rewrite for Stata 8

. . ssc install concord, replace
checking concord consistency and verifying not already installed...
all files already exist and are up to date.

// get it through findit-
. which concord, all

c:\ado\stbplus\c\concord.ado
*! 3.0.7  9aug2007  TJS & NJC fixed Stata 10 bug by adding missing -version-

On 1/24/08, Nick Cox <[email protected]> wrote:
> This has been fixed for some time, as was promised. The update was in
> Stata Journal 7(3) 2007.
>
> Note that, as mentioned by Fred, the fault here was not with StataCorp.
> It was the authors' [let's say: mine] in not including a -version-
> statement. That was certainly accidental, not deliberate.
>
> Nick
> [email protected]
>
> Fred Wolfe
>
> I was burned using -concord- which has version control in subprograms,
> but doesn't have it in the main programs. It perhaps needs a two word
> revision.
>
> Fred Wolfe
>

> On 1/24/08, Richard Williams <[email protected]> wrote:
> > At 03:15 PM 1/24/2008, Newson, Roger B wrote:
> > >I have a Stata 10 query on string functions. Why is the string
> function
> > >-index()- no longer available in Stata 10 (as it was in Stata 9 and
> > >several previous versions)? I would be surprised if I couldn't find
> > >substitutes for it on a case-by-case basis, but was there any special
> > >reason for dropping it?
> >
> > If I recall correctly - in Stata 9, -index- got the new and improved
> > name of -strpos-.  Per StataCorp policy, -index- continued to work in
> > Stata 9, but starting in Stata 10 it only works if you are using
> > version control.
> >
> > I think the new and improved names had something to do with
> > consistency with Mata.  Personally though, I wish the old names
> > continued to work.  As a programmer, you get used to doing things
> > certain ways, and it isn't always obvious what the new and improved
> > name is.  Heck, Roger is one of the more prolific programmers around,
> > and if he gets bit by a change like that you can imagine that others
> will too!

Fred Wolfe
National Data Bank for Rheumatic Diseases
Wichita, Kansas
NDB Office  +1 316 263 2125 Ext 0
Research Office +1 316 686 9195