Re: st: Why was -index()- dropped?

To   [email protected], <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Why was -index()- dropped?
Date   Thu, 24 Jan 2008 15:45:10 -0500

At 03:15 PM 1/24/2008, Newson, Roger B wrote:
I have a Stata 10 query on string functions. Why is the string function
-index()- no longer available in Stata 10 (as it was in Stata 9 and
several previous versions)? I would be surprised if I couldn't find
substitutes for it on a case-by-case basis, but was there any special
reason for dropping it?
If I recall correctly - in Stata 9, -index- got the new and improved name of -strpos-. Per StataCorp policy, -index- continued to work in Stata 9, but starting in Stata 10 it only works if you are using version control.

I think the new and improved names had something to do with consistency with Mata. Personally though, I wish the old names continued to work. As a programmer, you get used to doing things certain ways, and it isn't always obvious what the new and improved name is. Heck, Roger is one of the more prolific programmers around, and if he gets bit by a change like that you can imagine that others will too!

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: [email protected]
WWW: http://www.nd.edu/~rwilliam