[no subject]

Maarten,

You need to argue that the procedure satisfies the requirements for
consistency of IV, namely that

y3hat is correlated with y3  (easy)

y3hat is uncorrelated with e1 (needs a bit of thought)

Your y3hat is defined as max(0,y2hat) where y2hat=chat*x2.

The slightly tricky bit - but I think you're OK - is that you say y2 is
potentially endogenous and observed only if it's strictly positive.  Say
for some i, e2_i is a big negative shock, so that even though c*x2_i>0,
y2_i is < 0.  You observe y3_i=0, and if y2 is endogenous because e1 and
e2 are correlated (say positively), the fact that y3_i will be at its
minimum will be associated with e1_i being also being a big negative
shock.  But you are using y2hat has your instrument, with an exogenous
cut-off of 0.  The fact that y3_i is a censored observation (because
e2_i is << 0) doesn't make y3hat_i a "predicted censored" observation
(because chat*x2_i>0). That is, your censoring for y3hat is driven by x2
and the (presumably consistently estimated) chat, and not by e2_i.

Sooo... I think you're OK.

Would be very interested to hear what others think about this?

BTW [self-advertising warning] you might want to use -ivreg2- instead of
-ivreg-.  More diagnostics and options.

HTH.

Cheers,
Mark

Prof. Mark E. Schaffer
Director
Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation
Department of Economics
School of Management & Languages
Heriot-Watt University
Edinburgh EH14 4AS  UK