RE: st: Learning Mata: what is the best way?

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Learning Mata: what is the best way?
Date   Thu, 24 Jan 2008 10:24:07 -0000

If the Mata manuals were 50% longer, no doubt there would be complaints
on that score too -- which is not to deny that very many Mata users,
certainly myself, would welcome a book on it.

Maarten buis

--- [email protected] wrote:
> I have been programming for a couple of years in Stata (now using
> Stata/SE 9.2) and I am currently deciding whether to learn Mata (or
> switch to something like Matlab), so I have a couple of questions:
>
>    What is the best way to learn Mata? I bought the books M[0-3] and
> M[4-6], but they are reference guides, not learning books. Is there
> not a book/website, etc. that shows more snippets of code so you can
> actually learn the language by example?

I can recommend the Mata matters column by Bill Gould in the Stata
Journal. The first section of the Mata manual contains general advise
and examples (though not as much as I and apperently you would like).